My background includes:
- Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) and Certified Municipal Manager (CMM III HR Professional), with depth of experience in interviewing skills.
- Honours B.A. degree in English Literature with a minor in Family Studies from the University of Guelph.
- Diploma in Human Resources Management and certificates in Volunteer Management, Leadership and Not-for-Profit Board Governance from various Universities/Colleges.
- Previous writing experience with the Guelph Mercury as a Community Editorial Board member, and also at the University of Guelph as a student writer.
- Professional HR experience includes working in the Municipal, Hi-Tech Research and Development (R&D), Manufacturing and Health Care fields.
- Extensive experience volunteering in the Not-for-Profit sector, specifically in Health Care, and more recently on the Board of Directors with Hospice Wellington and as a Rotarian with the Rotary Club of Guelph.
- Nominated for Guelph YMCA-YWCA Women of Distinction Awards (2016) in the Volunteer Community Service category and recipient of Top 40 under 40 award (2010) through the Guelph Mercury.
- Member of the Professional Writers’ Association of Canada, Human Resources Professional Association, Ontario Municipal Human Resources Association, and more.
Canadian Running Magazine
Starting in January 2016, I have been sharing my journey of running 12 races in 12 months on the Canadian Running Magazine website through a regular feature on their Blog section.
Fondly Remembered, Guelph Mercury
Inspired by the poem “The Dash” by Linda Ellis, and combined with a love of my home town Guelph, Ontario, Canada, I started writing a regular feature for the Guelph Mercury entitled “Fondly Remembered” in October 2014. Modeled loosely on the column “The End” in Maclean’s magazine and “Lives Lived” in the Globe and Mail, “Fondly Remembered” provided an opportunity to honour a Guelph/Wellington County resident, and share this person’s life story with residents of the City of Guelph and Wellington County through the Guelph Mercury.
Legacy Writing and Celebration of Life speeches
Please contact me if you would like to have a loved one’s life story written to honour their legacy. Information gathering for the story can be received through an in-person interview, over the phone, or through completion of an electronic questionnaire (or a combination). I am happy to work with you in the manner you are most comfortable and to accommodate your individual needs. I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My newest venture is Travel Writing. If you would like me to feature your locale or establishment, please contact me!