At the age of 50, feeling very burnt out and wanting to focus more on his health, Ron Passmore decided to take a step back to enjoy life and semi-retire. He took a couple of years off, which allowed him the opportunity to take the reins and be the foreman of the roof-replacement project at Grace Community Church. This was a large project and Ron knew what had to be done. Ron’s service at this church also included assisting with the church set up team.

“It brought Ron great joy to reach out and help people, with both his time and resources. He helped people with business advice, marketing ideas, and financial support” shared Ron’s wife Dayna Passmore. “Ron just truly wanted to help others. If there was someone in his church community going on a mission trip, or that had a personal need, he gave whatever he could financially.”

Ron Passmore was born in Elora, Ontario to Harry and Mavis (MacDonald) Passmore. Ron was the youngest of the Passmore children, having a sister, Nancy, eight years older and a brother, John, five years older than Ron

As a teenager Ron stocked shelves at the L&M grocery store. It was around that time that Ron started visiting his sister, who had moved to Hawaii, which would prove to plant the seeds for his love of this destination. After high school, Ron attended Conestoga College. Ron always kept very busy, and in his spare time, he helped to renovate and rebuild the Elora Mill into the building it is today.

On one fateful night, Ron went roller-skating with a friend at Bingemans in Kitchener, and met a beautiful woman named Dayna. Dayna was with her Church youth group for the evening, but Ron and Dayna hit it off and Ron knew that she was the love of his life. They dated for almost three years before they got married. Ron moved to Guelph to start a life with Dayna, who was born and raised in Guelph.

On April 3, 1985, their daughter Shanna was born with shockingly bright, florescent orange hair, to the surprise of both Ron and Dayna. Almost two years later, their son Jeremy was born on February 17, 1987 and the Passmore family was complete.

After Ron graduated from College, his skills were noticed very quickly and he ended up working at several companies where he primarily worked in upper management positions, including as the Canadian President of Dynix/Ameritech, a Company in Kitchener Waterloo.

“His negotiation and business skills made him an invaluable defender for people who did not have the skills or knowledge to defend themselves, and so he defended not only his family at every turn, but also those in the community that sought out his help, and this brought him great happiness” shared Shanna. “Often people would seek him out for advice on how to handle various situations, and he would listen to their problems, and assist them. He was very giving and honorable; a man with the purest of motives. ”

Ron took great pleasure in showing his family the world. Ron especially loved to snorkel with the kids on his trips to Hawaii at Hanauma Bay in Oahu. Ron enjoyed feeding the fish frozen peas, and would toss a handful of peas overtop of Shanna and Jeremy’s heads while they were snorkeling so the fish would swarm at their heads, much to his children’s dismay.

Shanna recalls, “Humour was a huge part of who my dad was. His purpose was to make people laugh and be happy.”

In his semi-retirement, Ron worked at the Auto Clinic on Woodlawn Road performing administrative work. Ron made the decision to stop working in 2013 as he felt it was time to fully retire. It was in the summer of 2014 that Dayna retired from her career, and they began planning an adventure-filled retirement together.

After a family dinner on Friday, September 12, Ron complained of a headache, and went to bed. He awoke on Saturday with a high fever and flu-like symptoms. On Sunday, Dayna helped Ron out of bed and he was very weak and disoriented. She called 911, and he was admitted to the hospital with an intracranial hemorrhagic bleed in his head, which was brought on by a rapidly growing infection, affecting his entire body, including his organs.

On the evening of Monday, September 15, 2014, with his family surrounding him at Hamilton General Hospital, Ron was taken off of life support and passed away. He was just two months shy of his 60th birthday.